Design Technology and Art & Design
We believe that students deserve a Design & Technology and Art & Design curriculum which prepares them for the world they live in.
Design and Technology gives young people the skills and abilities to engage positively with the designed and made world. They learn how products and systems are designed and manufactured, how to be innovative and to make creative use of a variety of resources including traditional and digital technologies, to improve the world around them. Food preparation and nutrition equips learners with the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook and apply the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating.
Art and Photography provides our pupils with a range of different ways to express their individual creativity. It also aims to enable pupils to develop a natural sense of wonder and curiosity about the world they see around them. Through studying a diverse range of artists throughout history pupils will develop their critical thinking and cultural appreciation.
We thrive to provide opportunities, which allow students to develop a knowledge of a range of creative areas in KS3/4/5 including; product design, art textiles, art and design , photography and Food Preparation & Nutrition. Students should grow in confidence through dedicated teaching environments, manufacturing equipment and specialist teaching.
At the centre of each of the subjects is creativity and imagination. These creative subjects draw on and develop/implement a range of different disciplines including mathematics, science, engineering, computing, geography, business studies and art. The subject embeds high quality literacy skills through analysis and evaluation techniques.
As students’ progress to KS4 they have the opportunity to choose a Creative subject to study. In the chosen area, the subject allows for deeper study of the world they live in, potential career opportunities and with the skills developed at KS3 the confidence to take risks, become resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens.
Our aims as a Creative Department:
- To stimulate lasting curious, skills, interest and enjoyment of the arts, technological advancements and food & nutrition
- To promote self awareness, self esteem, confidence, resilience and maturity.
- To develop the cultural capital of our students by encouraging them to engage in and understand the world around them
- To inspire and enthuse students to follow creative occupations and next steps. To equip students with the knowledge, skills and confidence to succeed in the wider world and creative industries.
- To use high quality literacy skills through analysis and evaluation techniques.
For individual specialist areas
Our Design & Technology curriculum will give the students an opportunity to:
- Be confident self-managers and team-workers, who are willing to take risks and keep an open-mind about new ideas and techniques;
- Understand developments in design and technology, its impact on individuals, society and the environment, and the responsibilities of designers, engineers and technologists
- Be able to implement a range of different disciplines including mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art.
- Development of high skills and resilience in a safe environment
- Make informed decisions about food and nutrition and allow them to acquire knowledge in order to be able to feed themselves and others affordably and nutritiously, now and later in life.
Our Art & Design curriculum will give the students an opportunity to:
- To be able to take creative risks and ask themselves questions about their artistic journey
- To be able to participate in conversation, discussion, critique and debate about pupils’ own work and that of other artists and designers.
- To be able to interpret, analyse and find meaning within artwork from a range of cultures and periods of history
- To be responsible citizens who are aware of the role they play in society and understand the importance of Art in contributing to society.