Useful Contacts

Below are the contacts of a wide range of local and national organisations providing information, advice and guidance on a wide range of subjects such as bullying, mental health or drugs. These organizations may be able to offer you, your family or your child, support with any issues you are facing.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) - Offers confidential, free and impartial advice and information about a range of issues. It also offers specialist advice and can represent you in welfare benefits, money/debt advice and employment rights.
tel: 0808 278 7900

Consumer Credit Counselling Service - free advice on managing your finances.
tel: 0800 138 1111

Direct Gov - the official government website for citizens. Access to public services and information on a range of issues.

Families Information Service - one-stop-shop for parents. Gives advice on
childcare providers in the area, family events, parents groups and organizations that can offer support and advice.
tel: 01609780780

Job Centre Plus - Provides help and advice on jobs and training for people who
can work and financial help for those who cannot.
tel: 01757 693000

North Yorkshire County Council and Selby District Council - a useful starting point when requiring information about education, council tax, parking, housing, planning, recycling etc.
tel: 0845 872 7374
tel: 01757 705101

Stepping Stone - provide help and information in many different areas, such as local job vacancies, debt and finance problems, housing and social services issues, drug and alcohol problems and training and further education.
tel: 01937 530288

Childline - Free phone line offering counseling and support to children and young people on a wide range of issues. Lines open 24 hours a day, and calls from a landline will not show on your phone bill.
tel: 0800 1111

Carers Centre - Information, advice and support for people who are looking after or supporting someone.
tel: 01904 724466

Crossroads - Caring for Carers -provides home based practical support and respite to carers of all ages.
tel: 01757 210013

Family Lives - Talk, confidentially about any parenting issues affecting you. A free service, running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
tel: 0808 800 2222

NSPCC - offer a range of support and information for families: Support groups; Child Protection Helpline; Drug and alcohol support; and parenting programs.
tel: 01757 290953

Parent Partnership Service - Confidential advice and information on special educational needs to all parents/carers.
tel: 01609 536804

Relate - Helps people who have relationship problems. This service is for all people, whether they are married, single, divorced or co-habiting, whatever their age, race or personal beliefs, or social background, and whether they are gay, lesbian or heterosexual.
tel: 01757 700262

Social Care - For help and advice on all social care services, contact the Customer Services centre—open to telephone callers from Monday to Saturday (except bank holidays): 8.00am to 8.00pm Monday to Friday - 9.00am to 5.00pm Saturday
tel: 0845 034 9410. For social care emergencies outside the above hours, call 0845 034 9417

If you are concerned about your child being bullied, or you suspect they are bullying others, please talk to the class teacher in the first instance. There are lots of organisations and websites that offer help and support:

Bully Free zone - provides a peer-mediation service, written and telephone advice, and provides training for children and young people, parents, teachers, youth workers and other professionals.
tel: 01204 454958

Bullying UK - provides an email advice service for children and young people, as well as online help and information for schools and students.

British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapists - Provides a list of local practitioners.

Cruse Bereavement Care - Support for children and adults to manage their grief.
tel: 0844 477 9400

MIND - provides help and information for people experiencing mental distress.
tel: 01904 647014 (general enquiries) or 01904 647349 (Local support line for York and District)

Samaritans - A confidential telephone service for anyone in the UK—available 24 hours a day for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide.
tel: 08457 909090

Young Minds - promotes child and adolescent mental health. Offers a free
confidential telephone service providing information, advice and details of other
national/local services to any adult with concerns about the mental health of a child or young person.
tel: 0800 018 2138

Broken Rainbow - Support line for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people experiencing domestic violence.
tel: 0800 999 5428

Daisy Chain - offers confidential information and support to anyone whose lives are affected by domestic violence.
tel: 01757 290040

Independent Domestic Abuse Service (IDAS) - Offers a range of 24 hour support services.
tel: 01757 292212
For outreach work, i.e. support in the home, support for men who are being abused.
tel: 01757 241051

National Domestic Violence Helpline - open 24 hours
tel: 0808 2000 247

Compass - help young people, aged 18 and under address problematic substance use and move towards safer and healthier lifestyles. Support is also available to their parents, carers and the professionals who work with them.
tel: 01757 213120

District Alcohol Service (DAS) - Free support and advice about issues around
tel: 01757 293600

FRANK - Confidential information and advice about drugs. Lines open 24 hours a
day, 7 days a week.
tel: 0800 776600

Local NHS Stop Smoking Service - Advice and information about local services to help you stop smoking. You can also contact your practice nurse at your local GP surgery who will provide advice and support.
tel: 0845 877 0025

National Drugs Helpline - Offers free confidential advice about any drugs issue.
Find out about services available in your area. Open 24 hours a day.
tel: 0800 776600

National Stop Smoking Helpline
tel: 0800 022 4332

Horton Housing - Provides housing and tenancy related support for homeless single people and couples.
tel: 01757 241051

Selby District Council - Housing Services
tel: 01757 292270 or 01757 706291 (out of hours)

Housing Services Unit - For information on accommodation, housing and
tel: 01757 292212

Youth Prevention Service - offer early support to young people aged 11 to 17 to prevent them becoming involved in offending or anti-social behaviour. Referrals can be made by telephone or by talking to the Achievement Leader at school.
tel: 0845 034 9574

Selby Police Station - non emergency incidents, criminal damage, drug use, fighting, harassment and anti-social behaviour. tel: 0845 6060247

Victim Support - Helps victims to cope with the effects of crime. They provide confidential support and information to victims and witnesses.
tel: 0845303090

Suzy Lamplugh Trust - for practical guidance on personal safety.

Internet Safety - check out the following websites about internet safety.